DONALDSON EXERCISE - How to be Healthy and Fit with a Good Sense of Humor

How Roryd integrates mind, body and heart in order to go life's full distance and live like an athlete. As Gypsy Boots so clearly put it, "Don't panic, go organic. Laugh your way to health." As Metallica puts it, "My lifestyle determines my deathstyle."

My Photo
Name:
Location: Denver, Colorado, United States

email donaldson.rory@gmail.com

Sunday, February 19, 2006

#11 POLES

USING POLES
RORYD SEZ: There are at least 25 good reasons that I like to use “poles” when I run, hike, rollerblade or skate:
  1. Poles involve more muscles than simple running, walking or hiking;
  2. My hands, arms and shoulders and back become involved;
  3. Circulation and strength through my arms and hands is improved;
  4. Hands, shoulders and back become stronger and look better;
  5. Oxygen consumption is improved;
  6. Using upper-body muscles burns as many as 40% more calories than simply using legs alone;
  7. Time in aerobic zone is increased;
  8. Cross-training of all muscles is encouraged;
  9. Balance is improved;
  10. Safety is improved;
  11. Exercise through my core is encouraged;
  12. Body weight becomes distributed through my arms as well as my legs, reducing pounding on legs and knees;
  13. Unweighting knees and legs with poles is kind to sciatic nerve problems;
    Speed is improved;
  14. Unweighting with the arms takes a load off the back;
  15. Poles help me vault and fly over obstacles in the path;
  16. I really gain traction on hills, both up and down;
  17. Coming down steep hills, they prevent slipping;
  18. They help keep rhythm;
  19. When I’m on the flat I can carry one in each hand, horizontally, and use them as pistons to power along;
  20. They’re great when crossing streams or a slippery log;
  21. They provide a stretch through the entire upper body;
  22. They’re smart;
  23. They help prevent injury and strain;
  24. They provide me with a superior feeling as I clip past all those who aren’t taking advantage of all their benefits;
  25. They’re hip;
  26. They're powerful;
  27. They’re fun.
email donaldson.rory@gmail.com